Sweet potatoes are a variety of potatoes, very similar to the regular potatoes and are often used like a substitute for them. However, sweet potatoes are a bit different in that they’re sweeter and they have a different shape and color.
There are different colored sweet potatoes but the most common ones are the yellowish-orange and cream-colored potatoes. There are even purple colored sweet potatoes in some regions like Japan.
Aside from being very delicious, sweet potatoes are also rich in antioxidants and many other nutrients which make them extremely health beneficial. They abound in vitamins, minerals and all the nutrients you need to consider adding them to your diet.
Here are some amazing facts about sweet potatoes you’d like to know:
- 1. Sweet potatoes are good for diabetics thanks to its ability to stabilize the blood sugar levels. In people suffering from diabetes they also have the ability to control the insulin resistance.
- 2. These amazing veggies are extra rich in fibers so they will improve your digestion and help you detoxify your body as well.
- 3. They’re rich in vitamin A, an essential nutrient that stimulates respiratory system regeneration and are extra beneficial for smokers.
- 4. Sweet potatoes are also abundant in vitamin D, an essential vitamin for strong bones and teeth and improve your heart condition and skin quality. They will give you an energy boost and stimulate proper thyroid function.
- 5. Sweet potatoes help you absorb potassium better and this improves your heart function because potassium counteracts the negative effects of sodium in your organism. Potassium is also beneficial for blood pressure regulation and keeping your electrolytes levels in balance.
- 6. Moreover , the high level of potassium in sweet potatoes is beneficial for healthy tissues and muscle development. It reduces swelling and prevents muscle cramps giving you a healthy energy boost and promoting relaxation. It improves your heartbeat and heartrate as well.
- 7. Sweet potatoes are rich in Beta-carotene as well, a very important nutrient for overall health. It’s beneficial against asthma, arthritis and gout and will improve your lungs and stop breast cancer cells from proliferating.
- 8. Sweet potatoes contain folic acid which is beneficial for expecting mothers for healthy fetus development.
- 9. They will satisfy your daily requirements of vitamin C.
- 10. And finally, even the water in which you boil the sweet potatoes can be health beneficial. You can use it to treat skin irritations, clean your pores and remove all impurities.