Thyroid problems are one of the most common health problems in the US, affecting around 25 millions of people in the States. Most patients are not even aware what to do and how to improve their condition, which is quite worrisome.
The most common of all thyroid disorders is hypothyroidism, and underactive thyroid gland that produces a lower level of thyroid hormones. Be it hypothyroidism or some other disorder, when our thyroid balance is disrupted the whole organism is under attack.
Here are some of the most common signs of hypothyroidism
- Pain in your joints and muscles
- Unexplained weight gain
- Hormonal imbalance
- Constantly feeling your feet and hands being cold even at high temperatures
- Feelings of anxiety and depression
- Swollen neck, snoring
- Brittle nails, dry skin and hair loss
- Brain fog and memory loss
This is how the thyroid functions
The thyroid’s main function is to secret two important hormones, TSH and TRH. TSH stimulates the production of T3 and T4 hormones and it signals the gland when there’s enough T4 so that it stops secreting it. About 85% of the T4 hormone is produced by the thyroid gland and it’s an idle hormone contrary to the T3 which is a bit more dynamic. The body converts the T4 into T3, which is a very important hormone for our overall health, in charge of processes like digestion and body temperature regulation, among other crucial functions.
Hypothyroidism- commonly misdiagnosed?
The problem with hypothyroidism is that it’s often misdiagnosed because its symptoms can be confusing. To properly diagnose a thyroid problem you need to run a series of extensive tests because just one or two don’t give the complete picture of the condition.
Improving the function of your thyroid gland
- Stop consuming gluten
- Start with supplements that have iron, zinc, selenium, D and B vitamins
- Start with daily doses of iodine and tyrosine supplements
- Drink only filtered water (eliminate bromide, fluoride, and chlorine)
- Eliminate your amalgam fillings and replace them
- Lower the stress levels with some meditation or yoga
- Sleep a minimum of 8 hours every night
- Don’t eat so much cruciferous veggies