Herbs can help in the treatment of a wide array of medical conditions thanks to their amazing healing properties and the beneficial effect they have on your hormones. The best herbs for good hormonal balance are sandalwood, holy basil, thyme, clary sage and myrtle, but there are others that are beneficial as well.
Your body secrets a lot of hormones which need to be balanced out for your body to function properly. Here are some of the most important ones you need to pay special attention to:
- Thyroid hormones – The thyroid gland is responsible for the production of thyroid hormones which regulate your metabolic function.
- Reproductive hormones – Testosterone is the male reproductive hormone which is in charge of their fertility, bone mass and red blood cells, while he female reproductive hormones are estrogen and progesterone in charge of their fertility, vaginal pH levels and menstrual cycle.
- Adrenal hormones – These hormones are in charge of cortisol production which regulates your metabolism and stress levels.
- Sleep hormones – Melatonin and the other sleep hormones can have a significant effect on your overall health is they’re shifted out of balance. If you don’t get enough sleep your entire body will suffer the consequences.
Balance your hormones with these 5 herbs
- Thyme for breast cancer prevention
An in vitro study was conducted to examine the effects different herbs have on breast cancer cells and it was determined that thyme binds to the sex hormone progesterone and plays a key role in the menstrual cycle and pregnancy. The researchers also discovered that thyme is rich in phytoprogestins and phytoestrogens which have a similar effect to anti-progesterone medications and prevent the proliferation of breast cancer.
- Holy basil for anxiety
Scientific studies have shown that basil has cortisol lowering properties and thus stress lowering effects. One study has shown that holy basil is very effective in lowering the anxiety levels and without any unwanted side-effects. The study subjects were taking holy basil for the duration of the study, 6 weeks, and in that period of time showed significant improvement in several stressful aspects like sleep quality, exhaustion, sexual problems and memory problems as well.
- Clary Sage for a stress-free menopause
This is another herb that has an amazing effect on elevated cortisol levels. According to a study which involved women in their 50s inhaling clary sage oil can significantly reduce the cortisol levels. It should be mentioned that the thyroid stimulating hormones were slightly decreased as well. Also, it’s possible that clary sage boosts the estrogen production in women who experience menopausal symptoms due to lack of estrogen.
- Sandalwood for stress relief
Studies show that sandalwood is extremely beneficial in reducing stress levels in stressful situation. One study examined the effect on different essential oils on women who were supposed to undergo breast biopsy and the results showed that a combination of lavender and sandalwood as the most effective in reducing their stress levels.
Another study conducted on cancer patients with sleeping problems revealed that inhaling an essential oil combination with sandalwood improved the sleep pattern in 64% of the patients.
- Myrtle to improve your sleep
Myrtle has long been used in many cultures as a sedative or hypnotic herb but these properties haven’t been scientifically confirmed yet. A few studies done on animals have revealed that the animals slept better and were more relaxed after they were given myrtle extract. There was another study about the effects of myrtle which revealed that mice who had been given myrtle essential oil slept for longer and had a decreased brain activity while they were sleeping.
What is the best way to exploit their medicinal properties?
You can use herbs in a number of different ways, the simplest probably is just to add them to your meals. If you don’t like their taste you can also use them as essential oils or extract, it’s all up to you. If you decide for essential oils you can add them to your bath, mix them with some carrier oil and gently massage them into your skin or add a few drops to your diffuser and enjoy their pleasant smell all day long.
Article and image source : http://besthealthyguide.com/5-essential-oils-can-help-reset-hormones/